Cook Park Amenities
- Commendation - 2013 NSW Institute of Architecture Awards, Small Project Architecture
- Featured on ArchDaily, August 2013
- Featured on Dezeen, 'Fox Johnston enlivens Sydney beachfront with Cook Park Amenities', August 2014
- The Sydney Morning Herald, 'The Bottom Line: Designer Toilet Block Boom', August 2013
- Archello, 'Cook Park Amenities', August 2014
- INDESIGN, 'Cook Park Amenities by Fox Johnston', July 2013
This linked series of three buildings forms part of Rockdale Council’s plan to reinvigorate the Cook Park beachfront area in Sydney. Our brief was to design three amenities blocks: two new buildings and a rework of a third existing poorly designed 1960s building, forming a linked, rhythmic series progressing along the coastal walk. The Council’s core objectives were to fundamentally upgrade the area, provide safe and secure community buildings, and to give the area a distinctive visual identity. We saw this as an opportunity to invert the stereotype public toilet block – uninviting, unpleasant, and unsafe – and create a unifide series of beachfront buildings.